Built in 1928, the Nineteenth Century Charitable Association’s beautiful Oak Park Landmark building at 178 Forest Avenue was built to serve the community. Designed by architect James L. Fyfe, it is considered a “Contributing Resource within the Frank Lloyd Wright-Prairie School of Architecture Historic District.” The Nineteenth century Club was founded in 1891 with the vision “to be a dynamic cultural center for community learning” and a mission to “strengthen the community through learning, giving, and sharing our landmark building.” “The Nineteenth Century Charitable Association (NCCA) is the sole owner of the building, known under the historic name of The Nineteenth Century Club. The primary purpose for the building is to support and enable charitable and educational endeavors. The charitable and cultural activities are supported by members (over 200), volunteers, donors, and by the events held in this facility. Programs are open to the public and publicly advertised, however, we are not supported through public tax dollars.”
Known for its Grand Ballroom, the Nineteenth Century Club is a great venue for the Arts. You can hear the local High school Jazz band or a professional pianist on their newly restored Steinway Grand Piano. Dance performances and theater can also be on their stage. They also have their space available to host a wedding. Members and other groups meet here for everything from knitting and sewing clothing for children and soldiers to playing mahjong.
Truly an eclectic group, the Nineteenth Century Club is a landmark in Oak Park.