16 Ways to Kick Off Summer
Oak Park and the Western Suburbs
Just out west of Chicago there’s a rich variety of upcoming events all summer long to tap into for solo, duo or family fun. Here’s a quick overview of the events calendar in and around Oak Park for June:
1. Get locally grown foods at a Farmers Market!
They're open in:
- Oak Park and Brookfield on Saturday mornings
- Riverside on Wednesday afternoons
- Forest Park mini market on Wednesday afternoons at Foundry, 7503 Madison
- La Grange on Thursday mornings
- Mini market at Rare Bird Preserves in the Oak Park Arts District, Thursday mornings, 211 Harrison St
2. Find new ideas at the Berwyn Shops, opening June 3rd
See what great ideas more than a dozen female entrepreneurs are bringing to market. The Berwyn Shops is a homegrown project blends big city opportunity with small-town warmth and is well worth a visit!
4. Spend Thursday nights in Downtown Oak Park.
Meet up after work at this family-friendly event. Enjoy outdoor dining and entertainment safely in a pedestrian mall all summer long! Thursday Night Out kicks off June 2 and runs every Thursday from 5-8 pm through August 25.
5. Find fun art at Brookfield’s Art Walk 2022.
On Saturday, June 4th from 10 am-3 pm, the walk will showcase a series of special events, including live music, interactive art activities, food and drink, and the work of local artists.
6. Enjoy live music and eats at River Front Fest.
It all takes place in River Grove along the Des Plaines River, running June 2-5.
7. Celebrate community at A Day in Our Village on June 5th.
The Village of Oak Park showcases its rich diversity of community groups and causes at this annual event in Scoville Park.
8. The carnival comes to La Grange June 2-5.
The carnival features spectacular rides with LED light displays, family favorites like bumper cars and a Ferris wheel, games of chance, and engaging games for children.
9. Step into some local history and nature.
A wide range of monthly walking tours is available to book for a special outing:
- The Haymarket Martyrs' Monument & Radical Row Tour in Forest Park
- A Thatcher Woods walking tour taking off from the Trailside Museum in River Forest
- Explore the heart of historic downtown La Grange on Fifth Avenue from the railroad station on Burlington to Elm Avenue on June 12
- The Olmsted Society Historic Riverside Walking Tours in Riverside
- A Historical House & Barn Tour in River Grove
- Follow a great writer’s footsteps on a walking tour of Young Ernest Hemingway’s Oak Park
10. Go trainspotting at Franklin Park Fest June 9-12.
Enjoy live music, a carnival and food vendors all four days, plus tours of a variety of historic train cars and engines on its Saturday, June 11th Railroad Day.
11. Celebrate our newest state holiday, Juneteenth (June 19th)
A number of events will kick off that day in Oak Park, along Madison Street in Forest Park/River Forest. Broadview hosts its three-day Festival of Freedom June 17-19.
12. Savor wine in the wild
Wine connoisseurs will mark their calendars for June 11 and Wines in the Wild at Brookfield Zoo.
13. Pop the cork with friends
Starting June 24, enjoy Uncorked, a once-a-month evening of drinks and live music outdoors at the Oak Park Conservatory.
14. Snack and Stroll through art in La Grange
Discover tasty bites-to-go at your favorite La Grange eateries Saturday, June 25th, as you stroll through this extensive summer art event.
15. Go Ape!
Round out the month by trying something completely different! The Go Ape Zipline & Adventure Park in the Forest Preserve District of Cook County lets you choose from a variety of treetop journeys and adventures.
16. Come Taste the Town
On Sunday, June 26th, Takeout 25 is bringing together great local food, drinks, music, art, entertainment and local tourism sites to support local social causes at Fitzgerald's in Berwyn. There’s something in it for everyone — and a lot of goodwill for the Berwyn community as a whole.